Monday, January 1, 2007

2007

I graduated from Boston College with a popular theme resounding in my head and heart: "Go, Set the World Aflame"... St. Ignatius' words to St. Francis Xavier. As I sat on a sidewalk on a street in Managua after ringing in the new year with my community, I yet again reflected on this quote. After spending the entire year of 2006 discerning whether or not I would be a Jesuit Volunteer... here I am. In Managua, Nicaragua. On New Years. With my community: James, Josh, Mary, Adriana, Matt, and Nicaragua. Will I be setting anything aflame here? I'm not so sure. As far as I can tell at this moment, Managua is setting itself aflame. Fireworks have been going off all night long, and at midnight, the entire city erupted with them. Nothing like 4th of July in the U.S.... Maybe, like the grand finale, times 10, for about an hour non-stop...outrageosity.

So if 2006 was spent dreaming, wondering, praying, leading up to right now... Dec. 5 2006 through Dec. 2008, what will 2007 hold? More of "right now"... I hope. Challenges. Adventures. Learning... Learning to love. Learning to serve in whatever way I can, right here, right now. What does this mean?

Dorothy Day shared some wisdom with me tonight...
"Yes, the poor are always going to be with us -- Our Lord told us that -- and there will always be a need for our sharing, for stripping ourselves to help others. It will always be a lifetime job." -April 1953

While I am not here in Managua for a lifetime (though sometimes it does seem like that)... and I'm not sure what I will be setting aflame (if anything)... I believe I am here for this kind of sharing...

Thank you for sharing the journey with me...

3 comments:

Mac said...

Hey Margs- welcome to the blogosphere. Feliz Año nuevo!
- meredith

Micaela said...

heyyy margs,

I love the website! This is soo cool!! can't wait to see you soon, happy early valentines day :)

I love you!

<3 Micaela

Aunt Anne said...

Hey Margs
It is great to learn about your adventures. We miss you and look forward to hearing more!!
ooxx aunt anne