Every morning on our way to work, Mary, Matt and I cross over this little bridge which brings us further into the barrio. It´s about 20 feet long. For me, it´s a big bridge. It crosses over a causeway that is always completely filled with garbage. Most of the days, there is trashing burning below our feet when we walk over and the smell is wretched. Some days, there is lots of trash burning and I walk quickly with my shirt over my nose. Good days are when I see little kids crossing over it on their way to/from school, in their white shirt, blue pants standard Nicaraguan uniforms, little back packs, holding mom´s hand. Adorable. Many people live in houses that line this causeway. It´s their backyard or frontyard, more or less. Less adorable.
Today when we crossed over, I couldn´t help but to stare at this boy, maybe 12 years old, walking through the causeway, through the garbage, barefoot. He had a big plastic bag in his hand and seemed to be looking for something. Food? Clothes? I´m not positive. But I´m fairly certain that it wasn´t an orthodontic retainer...
I asked Matt what the English word for ¨causeway¨is... well, it´s still ¨causeway.¨ It´s a sort of water way where the excess water during the rainy season is supposed to drain into Lake Managua (seriously polluted). So all the trash fills up the causeway... I wonder what happens during the rainy season.
Monday, February 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment