Monday, February 23, 2009

Bless the Circle of Women

It helps, now and then,
to step back and take the long view.
The kingdom is not only beyond our efforts,
it is beyond our vision.
We accomplish in our lifetime only a tiny fraction of
the magnificent enterprise that is God's work.
Nothing we do is complete,
which is another way of saying
that the kingdom always lies beyond us.
No statement says all that could be said.
No prayer fully expresses our faith.
No confession brings perfection.
No pastoral visit brings wholeness.
No programme accomplishes the church's mission.
No set of goals and objectives includes everything.
This is what we are about:
We plant seeds that one day will grow.
We water seeds already planted,
knowing that they hold future promise.
We lay foundations that will need further development.
We provide yeast that produces effects beyond our capabilities.
We cannot do everything
and there is a sense of liberation in realizing that.
This enables us to do something,and to do it very well.
It may be incomplete, but it is a beginning, a step along the way,
an opportunity for God's grace to enter and do the rest.
We may never see the end results,
but that is the difference between the master builder and the worker.
We are workers, not master builders,
ministers, not messiahs.
We are prophets of a future not our own.
-- Attributed to Archbishop Oscar Romero of El Salvador
On Monday, February 23, I was able to share some of my experience in Nicaragua with the "Circle of Women," a group of women from the parish who share spirituality nights together. About 40 women came and I was thrilled, as they were women who have prayed for me and accompanied me throughout my journey to/from Nicaragua. I opened with this prayer that I was given at Boston College for my trip to El Salvador, and I felt it was very telling from the perspective of working for the Kingdom of God and also working as a woman!
I reflected on the faith journey that led me to Nicaragua, entertained questions, and showed a video of photographs that two angels have helped me put together. I feel as though I am raising awareness about Nicaragua and about her people and some of the struggles they face. I am sharing the joys of having lived in community and more simply for the past two years. And I am remembering the cries of the people who hugged me as I left who said "Never forget About us!"
I hope to continue sharing the story(ies) and am thankful to have more opportunities to do so. One woman asked me at the end of the evening "what can we do?" This is always the most challenging question, not only to answer, but also to wrestle with myself. Prayer and Care, I answered. Providing Yeast.

No comments: