“If you look at the Gospel, you’ll discover that God is always on the side of the smallest.
So we never feel alone.
We’re always in the presence of God.
I am a home of God!
God is present in each one of us! God comes to us, and uses us to
serve others.
Yes, we must allow God to work through us to serve others.”
– Salome Costa in Mev Puleo’s The Struggle Is One
December 2007
Dear Family at St. Peter’s,
There was a time when I knew almost all the words to any song that could potentially be played at mass. There was a time when I felt like I knew what to say to a friend in a time of need, when I knew how to care for children like a good baby-sitter, and when I could eat lunch without being interrupted by the image of someone not eating that lunch. This was just a year ago, when you sent me forth with all of your blessings and love to embrace this experience in Nicaragua. Needless to say this year has been fraught with joy and struggle, day by day by day, and I am at a point of complete surrendering to God.
We must allow God to work through us to serve others. I have found this to be so true because I alone cannot change the entire situation of the women in El Recreo where I work. The women share their endless stories of struggle with me and I can only listen. They get so sick and have such little access to health care and I cannot cure them or even go out and buy them the needed medicines. And while I am visiting these women, they buy me a juice and a piece of bread! They share the beans they cooked for their dinner! They share themselves with me and all I can do is open myself to the presence of God that is in every person. If I can see God in each of them, I can better listen, better accept, better love, and thus better serve, no matter how bleak their situations may seem.
These days the thrill of living in Nicaragua is the Purísima season. A phenomenal example of how Nicaraguans serve God and others! Purísima is celebrate for the 9 days leading up to December 8th, the Immaculate Conception. It is as exciting for Nicaraguans as Christmas is for us! All dedicated to the Blessed Mother, people make altars in their homes, decorated beautifully with flowers and a big statue of Mary, and all the neighbors go door to door singing the Purísima songs. After singing about 5 songs at each house, 5 verses of each song, everyone receives a goodie bag! It could be a bag of candy or juice, a banana, or even a plastic cup. Imagine a combination of Halloween and Christmas Caroling… all dedicated to the Virgin Mary! This event reminds me so much of my first days here when I was so nervous, unsure, excited, and still very sad from leaving home. This is also a time when I have to remember that although all these typical Nicaraguan candies and drinks look delicious, they go down quite differently than a Milky Way! The Purísima is so impressionable to me because the majority of these families barely have enough food and drink to live on; Nicaragua is in a severe economic crisis and the people still throw these big celebrations to give praise to Mary.
I am remembering you deeply in this Advent Season, recalling this past year and how generously you have supported me with prayers, emails, packages, and donations. Overwhelming is your love and interest in what I am doing! I am so grateful. Please forgive me for not being able to thank you each individually, as I wish I could. The limits of time, access, and presence here allow me just the opportunity to send you my strongest prayers and thanks.
May God continue to bless this you, your family, this dear community, and our world with love, peace, and the fullest life. And may we strive together, allowing God to work through us so that we may serve others.
Un gran abrazo, “a big hug,”
Margaret Nuzzolese
1 comment:
As a fellow parishioner, I was
happy to open the Sunday bulletin
and find your letter. Many of
us are thinking of you and it was
great to get a view into a slice
of life in a different world.
Mary H
Post a Comment